Monday, August 4, 2014

A Hot Time In Texas by Ann Defee


A Hot Time In Texas by Ann Defee

Description from the publisher:

Etta Morrison had vowed never to get involved with another man in law enforcement, but she broke that vow when she fell for Texas Ranger Rafe Claiborne. Her reward? He left town without even a goodbye. But now Rafe's back—and he wants to pick up where they left off.
Two years after Rafe skipped out on her, Etta's over the moon with her new job as manager of the exclusive Sparkle Plenty costume jewelry store. In the world of synthetic diamonds, Sparkle Plenty is king—and this year, they're providing the crowns for the San Antonio Fiesta Coronation. Except the crowns have gone missing. Next thing you know, people start dropping dead and a couple of jerks shoot up her store.
When Rafe hears that Etta may be a target, he decides she needs a bodyguard. Him. In addition to keeping Etta safe in the middle of murders and a diamond-smuggling conspiracy, Rafe has to convince her to forgive him. Not an easy task, but Rangers are tough and Rafe is tenacious.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this book. It was VERY slow to start. I found it dragging and boring but a few chapters in, it got interesting and I could not put it down. I was intrigued and could not wait to see what was coming on the next page! Then I got to the end of the book and was very disappointed. I felt like the author was rushing the ending and ran out of space. There was no big drama. Rafe never faced any real fear. I expected the bad guys to come after him and they didn't. I expected Rafe to have to save Etta and he never had to.

I loved the characters. Rafe was rugged and tried to act like a tough guy, but you can see that he has a big heart. Etta has been hurt and tries hard to protect her heart but of course, Rafe wiggles his way in!

The middle was fantastic. If you can get through the beginning, I think you will really like this book. I would like to know what you thought about this book, so please let me know!

***This book was given to me by the publisher in exchange for an open and honest review***

No comments:

Post a Comment